GPS has evolved the way, the world functions. At over 20,000 kilometers above sea level, is a constellation of satellites. These satellites are constantly beaming data down to us on earth, which in turn is received by devices such as phone or navigational units in your vehicles. They further allow you to see where you are on the planet. GPS tracking systems are one of the latest cutting-edge solutions to help keep track of where your boat or vehicle is at all times. Without a suitable GPS boat tracking system, tracking down your boat would be nearly impossible. Boats are expensive assets to their owner or boat enthusiast. And, with the regular boat costing nearly $29,000, security is an important issue for any owner. Certainly, GPS tracker offers that security and, is found to be a great tool for theft prevention and recovery because it can identify any unauthorized usage of the boat.
Useful Features of GPS Tracking
GPS boat tracking system offers a good deal of benefits, which are:
- GPS boat trackers are known to provide the fastest and accurate position information from anywhere in the world, whether in open sea, harbors and waterways.
- GPS tracking devices are able to provide real-time tracking for your boat.
- This device knows its unauthorized movement and will alert the boat owner via SMS text or email. So, that owner can contact the authority body in time to stop the thieves from fleeing. You can navigate the boat remotely from anywhere in the world.
- To detect theft, GPS tracker could be programmed with “geo-fence location” to help ensure a pre-determined boundary around the boat.
- Provides security of both Crew and boat by seamlessly integrating with security system on your boat. It also monitors door sensors and any motion. In case, your boat is stolen or there is an intruder, it turns on alarms.
- Reliable for the recovery of helpless boaters and your boat rather than losing them, in case, any disaster strikes.
- It enables you to plan, organize, save and view log details of routes taken, due to its user friendly interface.
- These devices mostly are water-resistant and often outdoor rugged.
- To avoid any life-threatening problem, it notifies updates on any pump failure or malfunctioning earlier.
- This technology ensures peace of mind by updating on weather conditionsto help boaters take preemptive measures.
- Whether you need to install GPS tracker on single boat or operates a fleet of vessels, it comes at affordable price. Also, they are easy to install and just a mouse click away assures you security and assurance.
There are some mishaps that result from overuse of this technology. Here are some things to keep in mind when going boating with GPS tracking System.
- GPS tracking systems are famous for chewing through battery power. And, the last thing you need is to have it go flat on you in the middle of night. The life of regular battery is almost 7 days. You may need more of it to get a continuous flow of data.
- It is more likely to see high-rate of alerts. And, most of these usual alerts happen to be false alarms. These alarms could be triggered by number of reasons, such as, owner didn’t disarm the system prior turning on the ignition or if preset may not clearly defined. It requires further assessment since it exerts high operational cost.
- GPS tracker’s performance can also be affected by Humidity and salt content of the atmosphere.
- A bad weather is also responsible to weak the GPS signals.
Here are few solutions to the challenges explained above:
- Bring extra batteries or charger for all of the electronics.
- Make sure you know how to use GPS tracking system. Apart from the knowing the basics of system, you should have the deeper look at its instructions. Without it, you should not attempt to venture out on the high seas. It would help you reduce the occurrence of high-rate of false alarms.
- You need to have a backup user, too. In case, you get knocked out by the boom. Make sure, at least one other person knows how to navigate using the GPS tracking system.
- Moreover, tell someone on shore about your trip. This is so that if you don’t return to port on time, they will know where and when to start looking.
- Accompany with your compass, charts and other necessary gear you need to navigate by hand. And it’s better to know how to use them. Also bring a waterways book, and mobile phone if you are boating in the coverage area. So, it is essential to keep backup systems along with you.
- The problem created by harsh weathers can be overcome by use of Radio frequency technology along with GPS. Since, it strengthens the signal strength and provides more accuracy.
- Use of Protective casings can be employed to enhance the longevity and effectiveness of the device.